Beyond the boerewors curtain

Category: , , By Roger Saner
Hi. My name is Roger. I live in Johannesburg. That it, until yesterday, when I drove into the far north, beyond the boerewors curtain, to live in Pretoria North in a new monastic community ("new" because they allow women. Gotta love progress!).

I usually have an interesting reaction when I tell people I'm moving. In September last year I did some thinking around my job (freelance web development) and realised that although there's much I enjoy about it - and will probably always be doing some web development, it's not the thing I want to spend most of my time on. And so a period of asking the question, "Well, now what?" ensued. I had a few options: changing jobs and working in a creative TV/multimedia environment as a creative director, moving to Cape Town...or Pretoria North.

When I tell people about the options I was looking at, they understand the creative director; they understand Cape Town. When I mention Pretoria North they say, "What?! You're moving where?!" It's kinda fun!

I've written a little about this at my other blog where I write about the future of Church in South Africa, where I will continue writing this year - usually on more thought-out subjects (like "Chaos theory, fractals and the emerging church conversation").

So here I stand - beyond the curtain, which already has its advantages: plenty of biltong and boerewors...and awesome vetkoek! Life is good :)
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Steve Hayes January 19, 2008 at 3:17 AM
    Since you chose my blog to be the first to announce your new blog on your new life, let me be the first to comment on it, and to welcome you to the Cis-Jukskei! I hope you'll be adding it to your MyBlogLog thingy too.

    Anyway, I hope your new life goes well, and that we can soon meet. Will you be posting directions so people can find you?
  2. Roger Saner January 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM
    Thanks Steve :) Yes, I'll post some directions and also add it to MyBlogLog (it looks like it deleted my old account...annoying!).

Something to say?